Friday, March 03, 2006

Neon Genesis Evangelion

So lets see Evangelion......This is probably one of the most enduringly popular anime, ever. It's still huge in Japan, has had like five different DVD releases here, two movies, and it was all aired, in Japan, in 1995-1996. I have to say I really like this show, the plot revolves around how humanity deals with the coming of "angels", (or "apostles" as they are known in Japan) who aren't exactly pleased with humanitys conduct on earth. There are alot of cool pictures of this show, so bear with me, because I want to show alot of them.

So how did it do?


Visual Quality-17 points. The animation studio Gainax did a great job with this show, I really like the character designs. However, after some extreme violence in one of the episodes,and many many many complaints from viewers, the funding for this show was cut, and the animation took a dive after that. Seriously the last two episodes are a bunch of lines, and some crayon drawings. Points are deducted there. Also this show has a lot of fan service, I am not too pleased with this, and the show loses points there also. If you don't know what fanservice is click here, I don't feel like explaining this.
Plot- 38 points. Evangelion starts out as a standard anime, kill the invaders, try to live through a crazy school life, etc, but soon it begins to morph into something alot deeper. The seemingly pleasant facade of the first few episodes, is soon shattered, and things get really dark. Intense graphic violence, disturbing images, and pschological drama all combine to create one really really crazy show. I first saw a little of this show when I was 11, and I was tramatized. Yep anime sure is good for kids to watch....right Kent?

Characters- 27 points. Yeah you know something is kind of wrong when you end up liking the antagonist in the show, and are extremely annoyed with the protagonist. That is how I walked away from this show, and that is where the majority of points are deducted here. However the rest of the characters are really well developed in this show, and that is why it keeps the majority of the points for this category.

Music- 9 points. I really liked the music here, and it ranges from j-pop to classical music to Frank Sinatra, oddly enough. The ending themesong really really REALLY sucks, it is basically a bunch of Japanese actresses singing "Fly me to the moon", and it makes you want to take a sledgehammer, and smash the tv, then your face. In all fairness I would probably be just as bad if I tryed to sing in Japanese.

So how did Evangelion do?

Visual Quality-17 points, Plot- 38 points, Characters- 27 points, Music- 9 points.

Overall score-91 points

Hey everyone, I have scoured the internet for the best pictures of the angels from Eva, and have compiled all the images in a blog. Please view it.

Click here to see the pictures


God's in his heaven all's right with the world.

4 Comments:

At March 04, 2006 12:02 AM, Blogger Rabbit-man said...

Baptist, Jack Baptist. Wow that name is made for hollywood, like Max Power, or RABBIT-MAN. Seriously though Jack Baptist, comment on the article, alright, and then I will give you free publicity on my blog.

 
At March 04, 2006 12:08 PM, Blogger Rabbit-man said...

Akira is one anime that I never liked. I don't know it just seemed kind of boring to me. I usually don't like many anime movies, except for the Miyazaki ones.

 
At March 06, 2006 12:08 AM, Blogger vicious dreamer said...

You're missing out on the world of Anime, then. For starters, I recommend Tokyo Godfathers. But definitely not POKEMON. (shudders)

 
At March 12, 2006 6:04 PM, Blogger Rinku said...

Bah, Rabbit man, Neon Genesis deserves 5000 points. It is unrivaled but much copied in Japan, and it still has a following after all the years its been out, which is rare for any anime.

Aw, heck, what am I saying? I just like the explosions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home