Saturday, February 11, 2006

Fullmetal Alchemist



Fullmetal Alchemist

All right as anyone who has read a few posts on my blog could have figured out, I really like Fullmetal Alchemist. This is one of, if not the best anime series out there.
Since this is the first post in my new Anime is Blasphemy blog, I will go over my review system.

Animes will be graded on

Visual Quality-How well the show is animated. How does it look. A total of 20 points given here

Plot-Does the story make sense, does it make you think, does it seem well written. 40 points can be recieved here

Characters-after the show can you remember more than 3 character names, better yet can you say anything about their personalities. 30 points can be recieved here.

Music-Very important to animes. I'm not that big a fan of J-pop, but good music in an anime sure is nice. A total of 10 points can be given here.


So with the exposition over lets get on with the show.


Visual Quality-18 points. This is one of the best looking shows around, and the battle scenes are so well done, that you often find yourself staring blankly at the screen trying to absorb all the awesomeness. Sometimes some episodes seem better animated than others, but this only occurs in the middle of the series. Overall Studio Bones, an animating studio, has outdone themselves with this show.

Plot-37 points This is where Fullmetal Alchemist really stands out from the rest of the pack. I would say that this show would be near the level of the writing on Lost. The story line constantly builds on itself, and there are very little filler episodes. An even more amazing feature of this anime is how many secrets can be revealed to the viewer if they watch carefully. Either through careful writting, or extreme foresight, every revelation in this show makes sense. Little hints are dropped throughout the story, and looking for these hints adds greatly to the show's replay value. Only problem I had, was that some of the relationships could have been explored more.

Characters-30 points. Just about every character in this show has some significant impact on the story. The brothers Ed and Al, are the most developed by the end of the show, but side characters also are developed. It would be easier to name the characters that this show did not develop than the characters that they did. Out of all the characters, the ones that seem to be the most neglected are mustang's troops, and one or two of the homunculi. Otherwise.......amazing.....perfect....flawless. Next category.

Music- 10 points. This is also an area in which fullmetal excels. The entire soundtrack is fully orchestrated. The music is catchy, and the opening theme songs are some of the best I have seen in an anime. Enough said

Overall score- 95

11 Comments:

At February 14, 2006 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think voice acting should be part of the evaluation.

 
At February 14, 2006 8:35 PM, Blogger Rabbit-man said...

All right, but which language English or Japanese. It would be kind of hard to grade both of those. I feel that in order to be able to grade the acting I would have to understand the language, and since I don't speak japanese that would be hard.

From now on I will try to make a comment on how I liked the actors in the English dub, that's the one I usually watch.

Vic Mignogna the voice of Ed does a really good job on the English version. The voice of Al is pretty good, but his voice does change about midway into the show. Which may just be because the voice actor is a teenager or just about to be one.

Lets see the japanese voices. Al sounds like a little girl, Mustang sounds like some really manly old dude, The fuhrer sounds like some old grandpa, and everyone else sound the same to me. In other words I can't tell what's going on with the japanese acting.

SO lets see
English acting-A
Japanese acting-?

 
At February 16, 2006 9:04 PM, Blogger Rabbit-man said...

Nobody wants to comment. Gosh darnit. I work so hard on this and none of you bozos out there in the blogosphere feel compelled to say something.
"Hey good job I totally agree"
"WOW you are so right rabbit-man"
see it's not that hard just comment you fools

 
At February 19, 2006 12:59 PM, Blogger Rabbit-man said...

Ah it's all a joke nobody reads this blog anyway, hopefully.... Oh my god, please don't take it personally friends please. Arrggg

 
At February 19, 2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

true dat

 
At February 20, 2006 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey who dares to comment on my blog anonymously... oh shit

 
At February 20, 2006 8:19 PM, Blogger Rabbit-man said...

Ahem uh excuse me yes what that anonymous guy said, the one right above me I agree with him

 
At May 01, 2006 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your logic Mr.Rabbit-man person....(odd name btw) Your understanding and your view on Fullmetal Alchemist is completely correct ;) Anyway I just wanted to say that that opinionn of yours is correct!

 
At November 25, 2006 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't coment on Ed's japanese voice XD I like his voice there >__>

 
At July 30, 2009 1:50 AM, Anonymous Alana said...

This is actually my favourite anime / manga series! I disagree with you in believe that the realshionships between characters were all very well presented. I understand that you rate only anime, but in this case I believe you should check-out the manga,for the plot is entirely different from the 30th chapter of the manga. Both plots are brilliant though. If it might interest you, the manga is on-going and monthly altough it feels like its ending soon. I presume that it will end in less than a year.

 
At October 11, 2009 4:49 PM, Blogger Rabbit-man said...

Yeah I started reading the manga about a year ago. I got caught up, but I think I might have missed a few recent chapters. Overall I think the manga is quite good. I hope it will end better than the anime though...
Although maybe they could do something weird and make anime ed and Al into Indiana Jones ish guys fighting Nazis. One thing will always be true in entertainment: Nazis make great bad guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home